I’ve been exploring different ways to plan the ultimate restorative staycation. The pandemic has forced us to cancel and pause on vacation plans leading many to go too long without a real break. In order to maintain some balance, I’ve opted to plan staycations. I need to maintain my sanity in between the nine to five grind.
How do you recreate those rejuvenating, luxurious vacation vibes right at home? Here are a few tips to help you capture the essence of a relaxing getaway without having to travel.
Tips to Plan a Restorative Staycation
- Give yourself a staycation budget to splurge on food, products, Egyptian cotton sheets, or whatever it is that brings you joy.
- Avoid getting into your normal rhythm of chores. Do any major cleaning and to-do items before your staycation. Better yet, hire someone to do the cleaning if you can.
- Ditch aimlessly scrolling through your phone. Use airplane mode to unplug if you must.
- Start the day by streaming a yoga class or a meditation to help rebalance the way a real vacation would.
- Plan something new to do every day. Whether it’s going to a new park for a stroll, driving to a local town to explore, having a picnic, trying a new restaurant, (dine-in or take to go), or grabbing a coffee and dessert at a local shop every afternoon. Try getting out at least once a day to do something different.
- Have a good book or a stack of reading material to dig-into.
- Limit TV, news, electronics aside from playing music or watching a movie.
- Wear your favorite comfy clothes: yoga pants, robe, slippers, etc.
- Take naps and sleep-in.
- End the day by pouring yourself a glass of vino (or mocktail), fill up a bubble bath, and indulge in some fancy skincare products. I’m talking masks, scrubs, and heavenly lotions. Hey, you’re on staycation!
- Rent a movie, make popcorn, and create a movie experience right at home.
- Leave a piece of chocolate on your pillow for your own turndown service.