Yesterday, I pretended to be a Chopped contestant and this apple pie burrito was born. I took inventory of all the random ingredients in my apartment and decided to whip something up. This resulted in an easy to make, allergen-friendly Apple Pie Burrito. This dessert is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, and corn. Kinda amazing, right? All you need is a few simple ingredients and you have yourself an indulgent but healthier dessert.
- 2 red apples peeled and chopped into cubes (Sweetango or Honey Crisp apples work well)
- 1 tablespoon of organic apples cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 3 Almond Flour Tortilla’s (I use the Siete’s which can be found in Whole Foods)
- non-diary milk (rice or almond work well)
- Cinnamon (up to a tablespoon depending on how large the apples are)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt (I use Redmond’s)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and chop the apples into small cubes
- Add apples, water, apple cider vinegar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and bring to a boil
- Once the apple mixture is boiling, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has evaporated (stirring occasionally)
- Once apples are stewed fold in the chopped walnuts and add apple/walnut mixture to each tortilla being careful not to add too much filling (Make sure tortillas are room temperature to avoid them breaking in the process)
- VERY GENTLY fold sides over to make a burrito and press down openings to keep the filling in
- Brush a little non-dairy milk on the top of the burrito and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Take a knife and make a slit in the top to allow for steam to escape
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes
- Ready to serve!
- Optional: add a side of dairy-free vanilla or coconut ice cream for apple pie a la mode!
This is the perfect clean dessert for those who want to enjoy something indulgent without inflammatory foods or common allergens. It’s easy to make and sure to satisfy all those fall cravings.